Safety & Burning Tips
At Woodwick.co.uk, we want you to experience the maximum enjoyment and pleasure from our candles. Woodwick take great pride in making them using only the finest quality ingredients and materials. However, it’s very important that you burn candles responsibly to ensure their safe use. Please follow these guidelines to keep candles a bright and beautiful part of your life.
General Candle Rules
- Prior to lighting, remove and discard packaging.
- Keep burning candles within sight at all times, never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep burning candles away from flammable materials and out of reach of children and pets.
- Keep wick trimmed to ¼ inch at all times. (Why not try our wick trimmer?)
- Before lighting each candle, place the foot of the trimmer on top of the wax. Place the wick into the notch on the inside of the foot and effortlessly trim the wick to ¼ inch. Plus the trimmer catches the trimmings.
- If smoking occurs, extinguish the flame, retrim the wick to 1/4inch, remove trimmings and relight.
- Only burn candles in or on suitable holders and place them on heat and fire resistant surface.
- Do not place candles on or near other heat sources, and never directly on furniture.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches or any combustible material. Keep the wick centered.
- Place your candle in an area free from draughts to discourage dripping and smoking.
- Extinguish candles with care, as wax may splatter. A Wick dipper is recommend. (Why not try one of our dippers pictured below)
- Use a Wick Dipper to push the wick into the liquefied wax pool until the flame is completely extinguished.
- Immediately pull the wick from the wax and straighten.
- Allow time for the molten wax to solidify before using a Wick Trimmer to trim the wick to ¼ inch length again.
- Glass Containers are fragile, handle with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact when handling the lid, and don’t use jars that are cracked, chipped or scratched.
- Discontinue use when 1.5cm of wax remains, as glass may shatter. Do not refill jars with wax.
- Do not allow the flame to touch the side of the jar, as it may become hot. Handle carefully.
- Minimize the wax left on the sides by burning the candle until the wax pool reaches the edge of the jar (this can take up to three hours). It’s normal for some wax to remain, and the amount varies per colour, fragrance and burning environment.
- Extinguish carefully before replacing the lid.
Scented Tea Lights
- Do not burn in an enclosed space like a potpourri pot. For purpose use tart Warmers (unscented tea lights), and be sure the burner is well ventilated.
- If wick smokes or builds up carbon, extinguish flame and remove the carbon before relighting.
- Place a wax melt in the top of a dry potpourri burner and never add water. Light one of the unscented wax Warmers (never use scented tea lights) for a controlled low flame made especially for potpourri burners. When melted, the wax potpourri will release its wonderful fragrance.
- To change fragrance, extinguish the wax Warmer flame and allow the melted Wax Potpourri to harden. Gently tap the sides of the burner and in most cases the wax will pop out. Discard the melted wax potpourri or store in a plastic bag for reuse.
- If using an electric potpourri pot, we recommend that you use one that is UL listed for safety assurance.
- Instructions for use
- WARNING Burn within sight.
- Keep away from things that catch fire
- Keep away from children and pets
- Place Tarts® Wax Potpourri in the top of wax potpourri warmer. Do not add water. Light one unscented tea light inside the unit base. Use metal cup tea lights ONLY. To change fragrance, extinguish the flame and allow the melted Tarts® Wax Potpourri to harden. Gently apply pressure to wax disc with palm of hand, and in most cases the wax will pop out. Do not use metal objects to clean wax from warmer as this may crack or damage unit. Do not use warmer if chipped or cracked. Warmer may become hot while in use. Do not touch or move until cool.
- Not intended for use with fragranced warming oil or potpourri refresher oil.
- Candles are sensitive to light and temperature, so be careful when storing them for any extended period of time. Avoid colour fading, melting or cracking by storing candles in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight or fluorescent light.
- Storage temperature should not be allowed to exceed 27oC or fall below 0oC. Exposure to moisture may inhibit relighting.
- Follow these guidelines when traveling as well, extreme temperatures in your car can easily melt or freeze your candles.
- Should the mouth of a jar candle become blackened while burning simply extinguish the candle, allow to cool and carefully wipe the jar with a dry paper towel or try our Candles wipes, which are formulated to quickly remove black soot residue from virtually all types of surfaces.
- To avoid such blackening keep the wick trimmed to 1/4" at all times.
CLEANING SPILLED WAX FROM TABLETOPS, FABRICS, ETC.
- We strongly suggest you seek professional advice from cleaning experts such as carpet cleaners or furniture refinishers.